About the Press
J. Gordon Shillingford Publishing was founded in Winnipeg in 1992 and published four drama titles the following year; it now publishes an average of ten titles annually in the genres of drama, poetry, and literary non-fiction. We have established not only national but international sales and distribution networks and built an active backlist of close to 300 titles. Our books have won numerous prizes including Governor General’s Literary Awards, Canadian Authors Association Awards, provincial book awards from several provinces, the LAMBDA Literary Award, and more. Our press includes four imprints, each with a particular focus:
- J. Gordon Shillingford (politics, religion, true crime, biography)
- Scirocco Drama (drama)
- The Muses’ Company (poetry)
- Watson & Dwyer Publishing (Canadian social history)
- Support the development of new Canadian literary talent in a number of genres
- Make a significant contribution to the publishing and dissemination of Canadian drama
- Bring marginalized voices to wider markets
- Provide relevant commentary in the areas of contemporary social issues, politics, and history
- Maintain strong ties to the local literary and theatre communities
Our offices are located in Winnipeg, which is on Treaty 1 territory, the traditional lands of the Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dene, and Dakota Peoples, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.
J. Gordon Shillingford Publishing acknowledges the financial support of the Manitoba Arts Council, the Canada Council for the Arts, Manitoba Sport, Culture and Heritage, and the Government of Canada through the Canada Book Fund.